Thursday, February 16, 2012

Call me CRAZY, but I Have A Dream...

Actually, I have several big dreams!  But one of my BIGGEST dreams is to build an indoor sports/recreation center for our community.  I want it to be FREE for EVERY child in our town 18 years of age and under.  This is something I have been dreaming about for years...but I keep making more detailed plans about where it will be located, what it will look like, how and who will run it, and what other ways it could be used to bless our entire community.

I'm sure you are all laughing at me, like most people do when I start talking about my big dream!  That's OK...you go ahead and laugh!  If this is something God wants me to do and wants this community to have, He will provide the funding that is needed and He will make it happen!  And if not, then I will accept that it wasn't meant to be!
But since I believe with all of my heart that it is meant to be...I'm going to share my plan with you!

I would like to purchase land north of 12th street that is close to the park...either directly behind the park, or the fields on either side of County Club Road, north of 12th street.  I think being near the park and the facilities there would the best location!

I want to have an indoor workout gym...free weights, machines, treadmills and such! 

I also want an large indoor court area like the DISC in Decatur has.  That would allow for several "courts" or areas to have different activities going on at once...soccer, basketball, volleyball, football, tennis, wrestling,  We could even host indoor tournaments and events throughout the year to raise money!

An indoor track...so people don't have to be out on the roads when it is dark, or cold or slick!  So much less dangerous!

I would like to have a Dance room, where volunteers would teach dance to young girls and boys for Free and where aerobics classes could be held and adult dance classes could be offered!


I would like another large room that could be rented out for school dances, reunions, wedding receptions, meetings, and other activities. 

An indoor pool would be nice but I don't know if I am sold on that yet or not.  Water and the risks that come with it makes me nervous! 

I would also like an indoor golf area with putting greens and a driving range type place.

I also want a homey area with a kitchen, living room...kind of a common area,  that could be used for homework help, kids who want to hang out and not play sports.  And I would like some rooms that would be available for people struggling that are homeless that need a place to sleep.

A concession area would be needed...and that would be another avenue to raise funds!

Obviously, showers & restrooms!

I also want a small area of computers that children could use if needed for school work and projects that do not have access to those things at home!


I have had people ask how could I afford to run it...well, I would get volunteers to work...retired individuals or other people that don't have jobs or work part-time.  I would try to get college kids who could donate time.  And I also would charge membership fees for all adults. 
And I believe with all of my heart that the funds needed to run a place like this are right here in the community.  There are people with money...they just need to be nudged by Him to open up their hearts and pocketbooks to support the youth of our community! 

I could even have a room for Big Mama's Closet!!!  Wouldn't that be nice...a store for the kids to shop in for FREE!!

I want this to be a POSITIVE place...where kids are LOVED and ACCEPTED!  There would be no bullying...no stacked teams...all kids would be treated equally...and I would make sure of it!!!

I keep thinking I am going to win the lottery and use that money to build this dream...but I need to play before I can win! Right?

So, I guess I need to start looking for grants, praying for a few generous souls to make a big whopping donations of land, money and time!!!  I can pray that Oprah will see this blog and head on down to Shelbyville and write a check!


So, I guess you can laugh and call me crazy!  But I can't get this idea out of my mind!!!  I know it would be a wonderful thing for this community..especially the children!  

Don't you agree???

So, if you have millions that you are hoarding...think about the impact you could have on so many by helping to building this dream!!   I'm going to keep praying and maybe one day soon we will have a Shelbyville Community Recreation Center!  Our I could keep with my theme and just call it "Big Mama's House!"

What do ya think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have the $ needed but I have no doubt that if it's out there YOU will find it. Never give up hope Amber.

DaRcy

Anonymous said...

Keep dreaming and believing! I think that is a great dream and would be an even greater reality! Thank you for being willing to dream BIG! No dream is to big for GOD!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great idea! Do you have a functional business plan? As an investor, how do I know the place will succeed? Are looking for someone to invest or just donate?
Continue to dream big, you never know what will happen. :)

Amber said...

Well, I do Not have a functional business plan in place...but I could start on that. I was thinking more along the lines of donations, maybe have it be a non profit organization...I need to look more into how that all works! If I ever get individuals who are serious about donating a large amount of money, I will do whatever I need to do! I guess in all of my "spare" time, I can start doing some research! If only i didn't need sleep, then i might be able to do everything I want to do!!! Thanks for the questions...making me think...any suggestions??? business advice???

Anonymous said...

Try the Daniels Foundation located in the Denver, CO area for some funding. They donate around the nation to help the less fortunate. The idea is wonderful, but did you consider those that have a disability? Remember, NO dream is too big for our God! Use students from colleges to help. Business or accounting students to help write the financial plan, etc. Keep dreaming BIG! Take care! You are one awesome, Godly woman!