Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Guest Blogger...a blog about me!

Here is a blog all about me...from a guest blogger!  Can you guess who it is, without looking ahead?  It made me laugh and cry...so sweet!

Guest Blogger…

I have known Amber since we were kids, and have learned so much about her (and her family) since she started ‘blogging’. 

Amber and I have had our ups and downs as most people do.  Over the years we have grown apart, and reconnected several times.  We have had our differences for sure, but through it all I always knew that she was someone that I could count on. 

Recently, I suggested that someone should post a blog about her.  Her reply, “Good idea, you should do it!”  I am not a very public kind of person, so I was not very excited about that idea, but since I suggested it…  What could I say?

So, I’ve put together a list of “motto’s” that I think describe her.  The first one is easy.
Amber’s Motto:  Just do it.  Don’t suggest something to Amber unless you are prepared to follow through (for example, I’m writing this blog).


Anyway, as I am scrambling for ideas, and for something that is worthy to be posted on her blog, I ask her, “Do you want it to be funny, serious, or what?”  Her reply…  “Be honest!” Amber’s Motto:  There is no reason to be fake (and she’s pretty good at spotting it a mile away).

One of my first memories of Amber, is the way she used to dress in school.  She has mentioned it before, and she is not kidding.  Madonna, Cindy Lauper, and the like had nothing on Amber.  In hindsight, I admire the confidence that she had to be ‘different’, or to not ‘follow the crowd’.  And, if you have read her blog or have had a chance to know her, she has not lost that approach to life.  Amber’s Motto:  Be true to yourself.  That is something that Amber has done and continues to do. 

Throughout our years in middle school together, I can remember several times when Amber would could be seen standing her ground, and standing up for other kids.  Whether it was getting in a fight with a boy that crossed her, or stepping in when someone was being picked on.  I can even remember once, when some kids were giving me a hard time (as kids can so often do).  Before I could say anything, out of nowhere, there was Amber stepping in to defend me.  At the time, we weren’t even all that good of friends.  As I’ve read her recent posts, I realize that, even as an adult, her attitude has not changed.  Amber’s Motto:  Stand up for others.  No one is more important or valuable then anyone else.  Amber continues to LIVE this philosophy.

It was during our high school years that we developed a closer friendship.  That’s when I saw Amber’s tenacity and hard work develop, especially on the volleyball court.  Since then, she has told me stories of someone telling her that she couldn’t accomplish something.  In her words, “Don’t tell me I’m NOT going to do something, because that is exactly what I will do!”  I don’t know all of the details, but I know that she had a successful high school and college volleyball career.  Amber’s Motto:  If you’re going to do something, do it to the best of your ability.  There no reason to only put in half the effort.

As a young adult and a full time mother of three, Amber started her own business.  She started taking pictures.  If anyone has had the opportunity to have Amber photograph their family, as I have, they will agree with me when I say how incredibly talented she is.  Her business was an instant success due to her enormous talent.  I can’t count the times that I’ve talked to other people about how good she is at photographing people and capturing their personalities.  And, it’s not just pictures that she can create.  During that time, and several times since, I’ve walked into her house to find the coolest projects that she was working on, or had displayed in her house.  Amber’s Motto:  Create.  She is very creative, to the point that some of us can’t understand why things come so easily for her (when they don’t for us).

In recent years, the thing that I notice most in Amber is her zest for life.  She is constantly telling me about, or posting stories about the thrills of living.  From playing whiffle ball, to water fights, to singing karaoke, to playing Wii games, or going on trips and playing games with friends, it seems like she is always looking for a way to make life fun.  Sometimes I wonder who is having more fun her kids, or her.  As she has said to me recently, “no one remembers the nights that they got the right amount of sleep”.  Amber’s Motto:  Enjoy life.  Don’t sweat the details, and have FUN. 


Since we’re being honest, I’ve also got to include a section on organization.  It seems like when I walk in to her house, and see all of her creations, they are surrounded by a large amount of disorganization (that’s too nice…  CLUTTER).  There are even times that I’m talking to her, when it seems like she can’t complete a thought.  Her house is not kept the way that I try keep mine, but I’m pretty sure that she doesn’t stress about it.  I think that to her there are many things that are more important to her than keeping an immaculate house, especially while her kids are growing up.   As she has told me before, “there will be plenty of time to clean and organize AFTER my kids are grown”.  Amber’s Motto:  Most things are more important then being organized.

Another trait that I need to mention about Amber is that she is a very giving person.  She has always given me such thoughtful and creative gifts.  Her giving nature has also shown through in her recently ventures organizing and starting “Big Mama’s Closet”.  Amber’s Motto:  Give.  We are only temporary keepers of worldly possessions.  Ultimately they all belong to God, so SHARE them. 

I don’t think that she will ever realize what an impact knowing her has had on my life.  I am confident that I am a better person for haven known her, which brings me to the last of Amber’s mottos.  Amber’s Motto:  Influence Others.  She’s never said it in so many words to me, but I believe that a Garth Brooks song, The Change, sums it up best.  If you don’t know the song, it basically says:  Even though my actions will not change the world, I do it anyway because I want the world to know it will not change me.


So, here’s to my best friend and….. 
my wife.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Love,
Darren


P.S.  Here are a few “fun facts” about Amber

Amber SNORES too!!!!!!  Not true!

Once, I had to go home from work to let Amber back in our house because she locked herself out (TWICE in the same day!)  True!

Diet Coke is her drug of choice.  I often get a call when I’m on my way home to pick up some Diet Coke so she can get her “fix”.   True...very true!

She HATES cold weather!  That’s why she wants to live on the beach someday.   True!!!!!

She loves music and dancing, but lyrics are not her best subject.  For example, Lee Ann Rimes song , “How will I survive”…  Amber’s version “How will I say love”.  Maroon 5 song, “Move like Jagger”…  Amber’s version “Remove my jacket”.  Sad...but TRUE!

When visiting a beach on Lake Michigan for the first time, we were standing at the water’s edge when a whitecap splashed Amber in the face.  Her response “I hate the taste of salt water” (think about it…)  True...now that's embarrassing!

All of these things remind me of one more of her motto’s…  Laugh often (even at yourself sometimes) True...but I laugh at myself ALL of the time!


Thanks Darren for being a good sport and writing a blog!  That was a great Valentine's gift!  I love you!

3 comments:

Janie Fox said...

I adore this! What a great guy and what a great post idea!!

white's said...

This was so special and heartfelt! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Darren is such a sweetheart. You 2 are meant to be together. People tell Lil Joe and I that we make them sick but I think you guys do as well. :) It's nice to know that true love exists not just in my house but in yours as well!

DaRcy