Thursday, January 19, 2012

Big Mama's Closet

This quote sums up exactly how Big Mama's Closet came about!  In early fall, I was overcome with this overwhelming feeling of needing to volunteer to help children in our community.  I didn't quite know what I was supposed to be doing and I wanted to do something that I believed in...something that would truly make a difference in the lives of children.  I began praying about it daily and started talking to friends about what I could do.    I also went in to Moulton and talked to Mr. Myers to see if there was anything I could do to help out there.  He suggested that I volunteer at Homework Helpers, an after school program that allows children to stay at the school and do their homework, while getting help from teachers and adults who volunteer. They also get a drink and snack each day! It is a wonderful program and I loved helping!  (If you have a free hour during the week from 3-4, I think you should try it, too!!)  Anyway, one day, I went into the office to talk to Mr. Myers and it just so happened that the women in the office were discussing getting clothes for a boy in need.  Tamara asked me if I had any boys clothes sized 10-12 that I could spare!  It was so crazy...I had a big bag of 10-12's sitting by the back door, most of it never worn!  I ran home and got it and they gave the clothing to the boy that day.  On Sunday at church, Mrs. Horseman came up and told me that it was like I was an angel in the office that day and that the boy was so thrilled with the clothes and shoes I gave him!  Of course, that made me cry...but it also made the wheels start turning!  I sat through church that day on the verge of tears...God had answered my prayers!  Now if you know me, I can get some pretty big ideas...and if I want something I usually don't back down!  So, I went to Mr. Myers, Mrs. Bence & Mr. Pullen over the next few days.  They were all very supportive...Mrs. Bence even said that they had just had a meeting about what they were going to do to get all the items they needed for students and that this was the perfect solution...isn't it amazing how God works??  So by Thursday of that week, I had my plan, I had approval from the schools, I had a LITTLE space in the schools to store the clothing, I had sent out messages...and the money and donations started rolling in!!!  When it is God's plan, things can happen very quickly, without much effort!  I was amazed, overwhelmed and and humbled by what God can do through one unqualified person!  Since that week, Big Mama's Closet has been going strong!  We have helped so many kids!


This is how it works...I collect donated money and GENTLY used, CLEAN clothing & coats, NEW underwear & socks, I buy new shoes, hygiene products, and clothes that we need with the money donated.  Everything is stored at Moulton and the High School (and in my van!).  Teachers and staff  have request forms that they fill out and put in my mailbox at their school.  I then get the request and fill the "order" as quickly as I can!  If we have the items needed on hand, sometimes I can fill the request that day, other times, I have to go out and purchase items and that can take a little longer.  I then get the items back to the teachers and they get it to the students!  Sometimes, at Moulton, we let the children come in and try on items and "shop" for what they like!  It is so awesome to see them smile about what we are giving them...when you see a 4th grade boy get excited about pajama pants and get a big hug because he is happy he is going to be "all cozy warm" in bed that night...it warms your heart and puts life in perspective!!!
I have to say a big "THANK YOU" to all the people who have supported this project!  Some people have really gone above and beyond and been so generous and helpful...I want to list a few names and if I leave your name off I am sorry...I am just going to type those donations I can recall off the top of my head...Lisa & Earl Peifer, Gary & Diane Crowder, Jamie & John Heiserman, John & Patti Tynan, Dennis & Kendra Ross, Kent & Cristy Murphy, Kristen Ross, Stu & Carol Hott, Mr. Myers and Moulton Student Council, Pete & Laura Vitale, Randy & Marilyn Biehler, Heather Cloe, Tonya Sarver, Tonya Lynch, Jill Bleskey, Bill & Ronda Robinson, Dawn Toberman, Gary & Lorrie Hayden, Kristi Banning, Cindi Owens, Greg & Rosanne Reynolds, Donna Storm, Lila Husdon, Lois Williams, Shirley Kennell, Lorene Davis, Cristy Pullen, Lisa Mayhall, Jennifer Endsley, Schryll Bernson, Janie Fox, Jessica Fox, Pat Swartzbaugh, Nancy Wilhelm,  Dena Darnell, Julie Winnings, Penny Standerfer and Shelbyville Polkice Department,  Beth White, Krysta Hendrix, Eric & Jamie Bowyer, Suasn Stephens, Tamara Meyer, Dan Gordon, Vonda McConnell and The Chamber, Interagency group...(sorry for any mispelled names!) I know I am forgetting SEVERAL people but I also know that the people who help are NOT doing it to be noticed...they are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts!  And they will forgive me for leaving off their names...as many, many, many more have donated clothing items and money!!!

Without the monetary donations, we could not do this!!!  EVERY DOLLAR HELPS!!!  So if you would like to make a monetary donation, you can order from Joe's Pizza tonight, you can stop by and drop off a donation at Joe's between 5-7, you can send a check to the school with your child in an envelope marked Big Mama's Closet, or you can mail a check to me!  Right now, we can not take more clothing...our closet space is full!  I will let you know when we need items!

Today, we need NEW big boys/small men's shoes size 6 & 8, and a men's 12!  We also need some 34X34 jeans!  If you have either of those items, please contact me! If I do not get anything, I will be going to Effingham to purchase them tomorrow!  Remember, we are giving these to Jr. high and high school students...they would rather go without that wear something that they will get them harassed or made fun of...so we try to get them something they will like and be proud of! 

TONIGHT is the fundraiser At Joe's Pizza...20% of ANY order between 4pm and 9:30pm will be donated to Big Mama's Closet!  This fundraiser is being put on by Moulton Student Council, so students will be working from 5-7!  Please come out and support the children in our community!!!

And last but not least, I challenge you to listen to what God may be calling you to do to help others! Pray about it and then get on your feet and work!  I promise you, your life will be better and you will be blessed when you forget about yourself and do something to help those less fortunate! 

3 comments:

Amber said...

I keep thinking of more people to thank...Carol Compton, Susan Miller & Theresa Shanks...the secretaries at the schools...who are always so helpful to me! Ginny, at Moulton, who is so supportive and helpful!!!
Courtney & Jeremy Jokisch, Ellen Trainor, Beth Duckett, oh shoot...I had some others on my mind, now I can't remember! I'll be stressing about this all day! I never should have started listing names!!

Amber said...

Also need to thank...Tobi Brachbill, Wendy Trimble, Karen Stirret, Renee Tucker, Debbie Applegate, Tammi Kull, Tony Pullen, Denise Bence, Keving Ross...I'm sure I'll be thinking of people all day!

Jena said...

Ohhh my Amber! What a beautiful thing you and the Shelbyville community have accomplished. You are an angel. Bless you all! Jena