Monday, January 23, 2012

Happiness is Celebrating the Little Things!

Me & Mike...on the 4th of July

Growing up, my next door neighbor was a boy in my class named Mike Storm.  I feel blessed to say that Mike and I have been close friends since we were in 3rd grade.   Mike has been one of the best friends a girl could ask for!  He is loving, understanding, forgiving, funny, wise, and he truly appreciates the small things in life!  He has taught me so much and made me look at life differently!  You see, Mike has Down's Syndrome. 


Mike announcing at the Little League All-Star Game!  He is meant to be a STAR!


 Some people may read that statement and immediately feel sorry for him or his family.  But before you head too far down that path, I want to share with you why I do not feel sorry for Mike...actually, I am envious of Mike!  Let me tell you just a little about him!


Mike wrestling Darren on Easter!

Here he has Gary down for the count!
Mike LOVES God!
Mike LOVES life! 
Mike LOVES people! 
Mike LOVES movies, food (just like me, a little too much!), jokes, laughing, hugging, Coke, music, friends, sports, family, work...you name it, he loves it!
Mike is a steel trap for all kinds of information!  He can quote movies and knows the actors of any movie you mention...he knows the title and artist of every song that is played! 
He LOVES to talk about the past and tell funny stories...and maybe just maybe embellish a little!  He loves to see old friends and make new friends!  Mike does not know a stranger!
I never hear Mike complain or feel sorry for himself about what he doesn't have or about what he doesn't get to do! 
Mike has a passion for life and love for others that inspires me to be a better person!
Is Mike perfect?  No, he isn't, no one is!  Yes, he has his moments, like we all do!  But what I love about Mike is his spirit...his hope...his love...his humor...and his constant excitement for living life!

Mike with Brett, Bart, Belle, and Abbie
Mike has been a large part of my children's lives.  He celebrates birthdays, many holidays and other events with us!  He loves to go to their sporting events and I promise you, he cheers louder than anyone else in the stands!  Mike has helped to shape my children into loving and accepting individuals by just being a part of their lives! That makes me think of a story... I'll never forget the time I took him to one of Bart's Jr. High baseball games last year and as we were walking up to the diamond, Bart saw us, jogged out of the dugout over to Mike and gave him a huge hug!  Talk about making a mother proud!  How could I ask for more?


Mike with Bart, Turner, Rece, Darren & Brett

Without even knowing it, Mike inspires me and my family to be BETTER...to be more LOVING, more ACCEPTING and more THANKFUL and to see the GOOD in others! 


Mike with kids ready for the Super Bowl!


Yesterday, we went to watch Mike participate in the Special Olympics Basketball Skills event at the high school!  Each and every athlete was such an inspiration!  And what I loved most was the huge celebration of each small victory and the team spirit that I saw!  They were all cheering on their competitors...they were not mad when they didn't win or when someone did better than them...they enjoyed the competition and were thankful for opportunity to be involved!  They were happy to see their friends succeed!  Oh how I would love to see that kind of team spirit in our school athletic events!!!  Wouldn't that be amazing? 

Mike gave me permission to share these videos of him!  I promise they will make you smile and they will warm your heart!  I took them with my iPod so the quality won't be great...


So, as I wrap up this blog, I want to thank Mike for being a part of my life, for enriching my life and the lives of my husband & children far more than he will ever realize!  I thank God for blessing us with an angel right here on earth! And I want to encourage you to look around, count your blessings big and small!  CELEBRATE the little things in life!  Don't be afraid to cheer for yourself, just make sure you are cheering just as loudly for others!  Talk to your children about being accepting of others and their differences...expose them and yourself to people who are not like you!  Do something for others less fortunate and forget about yourself for a while!  I promise you will feel blessed beyond measure and your life will be greatly enriched!!   CELEBRATE LIFE!!!  Just like Mike does in the video below!



Mike LOVES to tell stories of the "good ol' days"...here he is with some buds!
 He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.  ~Epictetus

6 comments:

john _and_erin_chambers said...

Great blog entry Amber! So many great messages to be taken away from here! I need to bookmark this and come back and read it at least once a month!!

Amy Hatfield said...

mike is such a special person, never knows a stranger, always says hi to travis and troy. what a great blog amber. everyone needs to read it.

Anonymous said...

my old buddy larry curly and moe mike is curly mark shuff larry and dannialmoe gret kid he is special special to me and a ton of people he realy misses terry beckue we all do great kid

Kay Kearney said...

Thanks, Amber! Very special indeed...

Joni said...

I loved reading this! What an awesome tribute to Mike!!

lois said...

nicely done